Re: Clan description

From: wulfc_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:18:30 -0000

> Once you know how many people are in a stead, you can figure out
> (from their type of farming) how much land it takes to support
them.
> Depending on the terrain you have to decide the amount of 'waste'
in
> and around steads, but it should put you in a better position to
> figure out seperation.

OK, I leave that to our Chieftain (I'm just the Warband Leader, Andrew Graham is chief :).

> If your clan is small
>
> - has it always been

> - or did you all get killed/exiled post-invasion

We're currently working in some unspecified pre-invasion time, with Lunars a present threat, but no open warfare, and they're not in charge yet. We can therefore put SR to use when it appears without needing to change dates. We're an offshoot (that is, a bunch of splitters) from a bigger clan, so very small at present.

> >But how many buildings per stead? One longhouse, or more?
>
> The numbers in are TR

> around the far place we have those big steads where everyone
gathers
> for defence, on the rich plains steads might be smaller. How
fertile
> is the land, what is your history of violence?

We're up near the Bush Range, and we're quite well known for our violence :)

> > I am working with a central area with the chief's
> > hall, weaponthane's hall, stabling for them, and a few
significant
> > nobles, blacksmithy, etc.
>
> (redsmith <g>)

I know what I mean... Incidently, with Orlanth now Enchanting Silver instead of Iron, there seem to currently be a shortage of Blacksmiths...

> - a children's book on the Vikings, with lots of great cut-away
> pictures of Viking steads, the farming year, towns etc. The steads
> are Bit small for Sartar, but otherwise its great color for what
> these things look like what you would find there. Nice for showing
> your players a pic.

Yes, I think my mental imagery is too firmly based on Viking & Dark Age Britain, a bit small for HW. The TV archaology program 'Time Team' has been essential reference material lately...

> > How about Humakti - probably apart from the bloodline, but with
the
> >weaponthanes, or separate again?
>
> Either, I would have thought - think about Jeff's Speed Bump Stead
> posts.

That was the inspiration for this question. Humakti are almost certainly thanes, certainly warriors. Full-time Warriors are supported by the clan, they shouldn't BE farming or maintaining a stead, they should be practicing, training, patrolling, etc. Cabbages as a hobby, yes, as an active part of the farming community, no.

Wulf