Re: Children's magic

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:04:11 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, John Hughes wrote:

> Andrew:
>
> In Glorantha some of these
> > should work.
> >
> > Could the adults really forbid these and make it stick?
>
> This is similar to the way I play it. IMG Children are as full of the
> life-wind of the Sacred Order (Just what do we call POW these days? :) )as
> anyone else. They don't have the focus, discipline or ritual experience of
> the Other Side to learn controlled magic, but the raw power is in them, and
> might sometimes manifest in uncontrolled ways. In fact I play this for most
> ages: uncontrolled emotion or great passion can cause poltergheisty
> spell-type manifestations...

The semi-divine Yinkini girl that I've talked about earlier, Yina Yinkinsdottir, and her siblings(littermates?) had something like this.

By the time they vere twelve they started to cause so much spontanious magic that the clan ring decided to run an initiation/adulthood HQ next sacred time. (They vere concieved on a HQ one sacred time, and birthed on the next, so it was their 12th birthday)

The most adventurous and magical of the children, Yina, had already managed to "slip" into the other side, by nosing around in temple of Yinkin, and had managed to take her siblings to play and hunt in the forests of Godtime as well. (the clan did not know, of course)

The children were holy, and so they vere let do things children may not normally do. But things started to get wierd. A hunting party that some of the children vere accompanying wondered into a weak spot that hadn't been there before, and almost got lost on the clans lands (and into godtime). The ancestors of the clan came to see the little wonders, and refused to go away, scaring and upsetting many of the living. The hunters of the clan started bringing in strange pray nobody had ever seen or heard of, and telling tales of even strange beings sighted, but not captured...

And so on. While these children are a special case (the offspring of a powerful Heroquester and Yinkin, no less), I'm sure something like this happens sometimes, when the promise of power if strong in the child.

        -Adept