Re: How big is a Tula

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:23:15 -0500

jarec_at_... wrote:

> In Thunder Rebels it says that a Tula covers an area of 15 by 25
> miles. This seems a little big to me given the geography of the
> region and tha fact that members of the clan are supposed to know the
> Tula intimately. 375 square miles is a big plot of land.
>
> Given the density of known landmarks shown on maps of Sartar it would
> be impossible to place a clan anywhere that does not encompass at
> least one or two places of significance and this runs the risk of
> your clan history being corrupted by future products. In fact given
> this scale features such as the Donalf Flats are barely big enough to
> encompass a single Tula.
>
> Jarec

Modern agricultural methods give a false view of just how much land is required to support someone. While I consider the tula sizes quite large, I would point out that MOST of the tulas are 'land we claim' and much of it is hunting land or waste. Only some of it is worked fields and only some of it is pasture.

In medieval europe, a village of about 100 adults needed about 1+ mile around it to support itself. That's 4 square miles. And that's in places like France, which were heavily crop-oriented. Sartar, which bears a suspicious resemblanc to Wales, is probably going to be even worse as its MUCH sparser and poorer croplands and has a greater dependence on hunting and livestock.

Corruption is a risk one takes in any game world. And, afterall, YGMV, right?

Jeff