Re: "First Alynx" and other TR questions.

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:36:58 +1100

Bryan:
>My question is more one

> of Alynx organization. Is the first Alynx male or female, or
> either? Do Alynx really respect such an individual, or is this just
> the one that gets to sleep closest to the fire most nights? Do the
> other alynx come into the hall much, or mostly hang out in the barns
> and around the store houses?

Barring an authoratitive answer from Trotsky or Greg, here's my speculation. The first alynx is female, and most of the other alynx of a particular hearth will be her kits and periphally, her mates. They'll spend a lot of time dozing by the hearth or in the rafters, but otherwise will come and go with the winds. Because alynxes in the lodge are seen as a sign of good fortune, a lot is done to accomodate them.

> 4)One of the section heading bits of colour text was an admonishment
> to a young boy to "stop harshaxing your brother." ... Does
> anyone know more about the word and where it comes from? It doesn't
> sound like a native heortling word to my ear.

I think we can only speculate about this one. :) Perhaps it came with the tribes out of the south.

> 5) The long-house is described in a fair degree of detail, except for
> one thing: doors. How many and where?

I'm sure this varies a lot. Generally, I'd have the main doors on the short axes. Others along the long axis as appropriate to the needs of the lodge. And dozing on a door lintel is a favourite spot for an alynx - unwelcome or uninvited guests beware!

> 6) I loved the bit about minor air daimones playing with the smoke,
> and eventually making small balls out of the ash. But what do they
> do with those balls? Drop them on peoples heads? Let them settle
> slowly to the ground? Blow them out the smokehole? Herd them all
> into one bucket?

This idea originated with Mikael Raaterova's wonderful article, 'Spirits of the Far Place', originally published in Questlines 1. Its available as a PDF file on Issaries at http://www.glorantha.com/tribes/essays.html

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                John Hughes

"When it comes to emotion, sometimes the greatest  heroes are also the greatest idiots."