Re: long houses

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:11:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Benedict Adamson wrote:

> bethexton_at_... wrote:
>
> > 5) The long-house is described in a fair degree of detail, except for
> > one thing: doors. How many and where?
> > Normally I wouls assume on the short walls
>
> Long houses have their a door in each long wall. If the long house is
> a byre house (or is otherwise divided in two) the doors will be at
> the division between the two parts.

If (big if) we take British Anglo-Saxon longhouses[1] as a model, then each long wall will have a door near the middle and opposite each other. This will form a short passage, often with a byre on one-side and living area on the other. These houses often had doors in one or other of the short sides as well, if such were convinient.

[1] Such longhouses match reasonably well with those described in thunder rebels, although they were normally narrower than TR suggests.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net