Re: Re: Long houses

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:41:42 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:20:59 +0000, Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_....com> wrote:

>These seem to be Icelandic style long houses, and so are suitable
>models for Heortlings in the highlands (such as the Fire Bull), but
>not in the lowlands.

Judging by the amount of wood used, maybe that's why Iceland is totally deforested...

>I have my doubts about the accuracy of the isometric views, however.
>The point of dry stone walls is surely to reduce the need for timber,
>yet the those illustrations seem to show the stone walls as merely
>padding. Also, the turf on the roof seems much thicker than I'd have
>expected.

Certainly heavier & more elaborate than I'd expected. Are the roofs turfed or thatched? Looks turfed, I agree, but the thickness would suit thatching (and I'm relieved to see my earlier comment of no apparent smokehole seems to hold for these - although the section immediately above the hearth is cut out, there seems to be no provision for a hole in the timber construction).

>The floorplans are good, however.

They are good in general, and more elaborate in layout than the 'standard' longhouse described on this list, which gives a bit of variety.

Wulf