Re: Re: Long houses

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:56:54 +0000

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:29:35 -0500, "KYER, JEFFREY" <jeff.kyer_at_...> wrote:

>An exceleent source material. I would point out that the snows are deep
>in Sartar, probably deeper than in, say, England or continental europe.

A sore point, as I sit snowbound in central Scotland, with 5' drifts outside, and the main Edinburgh-Glasgow motorway closed...

>Smoke holes are probably going to be necessary.

They would in turf roofs, but those cutaways do not look like they include smokeholes, which would lose a hell of a lot of heat anyway (most of the heat of a fire rises, after all, why let it out?).

>For those who were commenting on the depth of sod -- sod is not normally
>found in the 2" think jelly roll you might find at your local

True enough, but I'm looking at it in comparison with Viking & similar period buildings in the highlands & islands of Scotland. Most of those had stone walls, but turf roofs, not as thick as those illustrated. But, admittedly, the drawing wasn't that detailed, and I would have said 1' was about right, whether turf or thatch. It's more a matter of interpreting the drawing. The walls, however, I would say were far, far thicker than usual for Scotland, excepting Shetland or Orkney possibly.

Wulf