Re: longhouses; RQ list

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:07:34 -0800

Wulf

> >These seem to be Icelandic style long houses, and so are suitable
> >models for Heortlings in the highlands (such as the Fire Bull), but
> >not in the lowlands.
>
>Judging by the amount of wood used, maybe that's why Iceland is
>totally deforested...

Iceland never had much wood. You read about importing timber from Norway all the time in the sagas.

I think Dragon Pass has always had plenty of wood available for construction, even in the early days of resettlement when there were more aldryami about. You'll note that most longhouses portrayed in King of Dragon Pass are all wood -- I'm a bit biased, but I think the game is your best source for what Dragon Pass longhouses are like. (We did use various viking sources, and as I recall there are a variety of styles -- but most are wood.)

If you don't agree, you can always say that KoDP mostly portrays chief's longhouses.

David

>Perhaps an 'old Glorantha & RuneQuest' yahoogroup needs to be created.

Why not just RuneQuest? There were a lot of people who liked RQ for its rules, not for the setting (I was originally in this camp myself). Go for it! They're easy enough to set up (at least back when they were eGroups).

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein