Re: Re: Eat your enemies in secret

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:06:02 +1300

At 19:37 1/03/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I remember reading/watching something about people called Sin Eaters.
>Unfortunately, I forget where and when they are from

Aztec Mexico.

>but they would
>ritually eat those who had died, consuming the deceased's sins in the
>process so that their soul would be completely clean. I wish that I
>could remember more.

They only ate the sins of the living person that had told them what their sins were and what's more, they could only do this once per person. Further details are difficult to ascertain because our only information comes from the Catholic Spanish who immediately drew the connection between the Sin Eaters and the sacrament of confession which coloured all their descriptions of it. But since the Catholic Church allowed multiple confessions, this was an inducement for the Mexicans to dump the sin eaters and go to church...

--Peter Metcalfe