Imperial forests

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:11:02 EST

Mikko
<< >PS. Howcome there doesn't seem to be any forests in the Lunar Empire? I  >know they don't get along with elves, but...

> In how the map was made, it's described as a sore point.

That was more of an issue of repeated editing and adjustment that anything else giving us stress.

As for the actual forestation in the heartlands, there would be little. They've had thousands of years of farming and building ships for the Oslir. Wood will be a relatively scarce commodity, rather like ancient Persia or Babylon. The buildings are brick or stone in DH proper. Areas like Jarst, Garsting, Eol and Talastar are the major sources of Imperial lumber and there is a significant riverine lumber trade, especially down the Arcos.

>IMO
> forests are more likely to be found in the settled Heartlands
> as being the hunting grounds of the rich.

Yes, agreed. Thats basically the only kind of forest or "wood" that exists in the Heartlands and they aren't very extensive at that. Hence not shown. If you had an even smaller scale map then they would be shown, naturally.

>In places like
> Sylila, Oraya, the Western Reaches and the provinces, there
> are more extensive forests that are not lovingly tended by
> gamekeepers/poachers/wardens.

Agreed.

Actually you'll note that Carmania is quite sparse in terms of cities compared to Dara Happa. This is due to the larger number of cattle and horse farmers and nobles there as opposed to the crop intensive irrigated Osliran basin.

Martin Laurie

PS Wesley and I extend our thanks to all those whov've written to us with comments about the map. The feedback has been tremendous and much appreciated.