Re: Re: Godking Hero Cult

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:50:59 +1300

Phillippe

> > I've heard Greg say at Victoria
> > that the Holy Country recognizes six (or seven?) ways of seeing the
> > world (one being the lost perspective of the glorantha court).
>
>I guess you mean something different from the four types of magic ?

The six (or seven) include the four types of magic listed in the Hero Wars rulebook. The other two weren't stated.

>Each subkingdom a way, and Belintar the seventh ?

No, the ways are not aligned with the sixths.

> > The People Whom God Forgot are stated to worship Primitive
> > Technology. They are dominated by sorcerer/technicians who
> > delight in inventing bizarre contraptions for the benefit of their
> > people.
>
>OK, so Leonardo is not an exception (that was my opinion from
>'Genertela' and 'Glorantha')

Glorantha: Intro states that "Recently their inventiveness has flared again to life" p149 implying that Leonardo is not unique to God Forgot. The Runequest Companion said as much but that's not an accessible source.

>I considered that these islands were
>also populated with a strange mix of Rokari, Hrestoli, other western
>sects and a few refugees from elsewhere. they came here because of the
>religious fredom given by the Godking. I'm wrong ?

Most of the westerners are traders (being wealthy types from the Quinpolic League, Stygians from among the Trader Princes and Handra), and don't see God Forgot as being particularly nice place to dwell. They are far more likely to be found in cosmopolitan Nochet or Heortland (where most of the nobility are pro-Malkioni).

> > What the initiates do IMO is something else. They seek various
> > spiritual and mundane challenges so they can improve their mastery
> > over luck and death.

>So you link Belintar with Luck and Death runes ? I thought the
>expression was just poetic.

I prefer to give substance to any poetic expressions in glorantha. When RQ2 talks about how the Masters of Luck and Death proudly display the symbol of the chance they take with every breath, it's gives the impression of one who dances on the razor's edge between fortune and oblivion. Denying them any mastery over luck or death is a bit of a letdown IMO.

> > IMO it would be more like:
> >
> > Master of Luck: [Fortune's Favour, Luck of the Dice, It's A Million
> > One Shot (But It Might Just Work...), Second Chance,
>Coincidentally It
> > Just So Happens That...]
> > Master of Death: [Smite Troll, Assassinate Orlanthi, Fight Fire With
> > Fire, Scorn Sacrificial Wound, Turn Water to Salt]

>So you see the initiates as doing again the acts that created the Holy
>Country ? Pretty violent...

IMO you can't go far wrong with choosing the route of greater sex'n'violence in glorantha. Besides the Uz, the Heortlanders and the Caladralanders will hardly notice while the Esrolians will roll their eyes and think "typical men".

But no, they are not attempting to create the Holy Country. That's already been done and there's no need to reinvent the wheel. What they are doing is cultivating the same spirit that the Pharaoh did so they can be perfect replacements for him. They are not warriors in it for blood and guts but cultured gamblers ready to chance their arm for any challenge.

> > They can join whatever subcults there are of gods within the Holy
> > Country (entry restrictions permitting) and their secret comes
> > from that subcult. I'm unsure how it might work with the Aeolians
> > or the People Whom God Forgot.

>Can't they gain access to sorcery books ? Things like 'the Godking
>scripture', which, properly deciphered, would give magic ?

The problem is of trying to reconcile a sorcery-user with the image of a Master of Luck and Death. They don't sound like the type of people to pour over dusty tomes.

--Peter Metcalfe