Apologia

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 01:55:09 -0000

As a new guy on the list, I want to issue an apology and an explanation.

A couple of people have told me that I may have inadvertently offended Mr. Stafford by using the term 'gregging.' I want to apologize. I meant no disrespect by this use.

However, I also don't see this as a negative thing. I ran RQIII for three years of weekly gaming. I owned all the RQII stuff I could get my hands on, and all the new RQIII products. I watched as changes were made to the 'past' of my campaign, some that invalidated work I'd done for my campaign. But I learned something very valuable from this. It's never too late to realize your vision.

Maybe some people are too resistant to Change to stay with the vision, maybe everyone feels a little disoriented as things they did are invalidated. But in the end, the vision is the important thing. It must have taken alot of effort and willpower to effect the change Mr. Stafford performed on the system, but the original did not conform to his vision and, worse yet, the mechanics were stifling the concepts and ideas that he wanted to explore. So he changed it.

I've done the same many times since then; whenever things stray in my games, I'm not afraid to change some of the foundations of the players' perceptions. I do it also to stimulate them and get them out of the ruts that the demon Habit forces them into. I never have a lack of players who are enthusiastic to experience whatever vision I want to unfold for them.

For that, I say "Thank you!" But from now on, I suppose I will use another term.

Roland