Why should barbarians get all the poetry....

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:08:34 -0800

        In protest at the Orlanthi-centric attitudes of the songs posted, I decided to throw another Lunar poem at you. This one was supposed to be a pastiche of Catullus's rather famous poem, but it sort of got away from me....

        Written by Egnatius in 1616, a few years after the death of his brother in the Starbrow Rebellion, this poem is uncharacteristically grave for the poet whose work was more often ribald and libelous commentary on the high society in Glamour. Egnatius and his brother, an officer in the army wasted in Euglyptus's ill-fated assault on the Hill of Orlanth Victorious, had notably quarreled over the necessity of war in Maniria. Egnatius surprised his contemporaries by making the arduous journey to his brother's grave to perform the family's funeral rites.Egnatius returned to Glamour and died there in 1622, stabbed to death by the jealous wife of one of his friends.

        The somewhat stilted style of the poem is due, in part, to the poet's use of a Pelandan meter not particularly suited to New Pelorian. Several of his hymns to the gods, shockingly beautiful from such a jaundiced pen, are still used in the Empire.

Elegy

Driven across many kingdoms, down long rivers, I am here, my brother,
in this bleak windy land, to offer at last those gifts the dead are given
and to speak in vain to your unspeaking ashes. On the river they said
"Of the six dead parts the best go on to glory."
In the temple they said
"All things change from red to black, do not weep for change."
My stubborn brother, dead!

Nothing gives relief in this cold useless place where spite and ignorance
crush both blind duty and bright philosophy. In Kero Fin's shadow
poetry is a trivial reward for zeal
and stubborn argument.
Now I celebrate grief with funeral tribute. Accept these poor presents,
wet with my brotherly tears, and now and forever, brother, hail and farewell.

Peter Larsen