Re: Mixed and Misapplied

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:42:09 -0800

At 11:35 PM 3/6/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>We discussed this long ago, but things have hopefully
>gelled into greater clarity since.

I missed earlier discussion.
Perhaps I can offer something new.

>This brings me back to an old problem of mine, just how does
>Misapplied Worship actually BEGIN?

Because there is some magical thing or presence over there, nearby, and it requires some attention. The godi has a prayer to do that, and he goes and offers it a cow or so.

>Can an individual just decide to
>start theistically worshipping some powerful... thingy... in the hope
>it grants some assistance,

In the hopes?
Either you do know what you are worshipping for (help me in war, feed my children), or you do not. (Oh you "strange power here," accept this cow and leave me alone., or "give me the magic you promised.") One day that thing over there talks to the godi and they strike up a deal.

>and when it miraculously WORKS you have the
>start of a Misapplied Worship?

We have a deal, and that is that.
Misapplied? Hey, that rock an I have a deal, I have this feat now, and that is that. Orlanth didn't care.

>Or do you have to have some form of
>guidance, like a talkative Spirit Talker who lets slip a few
>significant details about their chosen Great Spirit, and thus give you
>a decent start?

Sure this would work.
The Kolating says, "You're in trouble. You want Kolat's help? Well, you can either offer regular sacrifice to Kolat, the way the godi tells you to do, for Feats; or you can come to the spirit world with me and get some real help."

So on the next holy day, flying to Kero Fin, you are a little slow. And you don't go on the adventure but sleep in the hall and wake up after everyone is home. But heck, you got that spirit power and saved your cookies!

Misapplied? Game term. Mixed, game term. Is this helpful or just confusing?

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>