Re: Mixed and Misapplied

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:24:10 -0000

[Wulf Corbett replies to some clarifications provided by Greg Stafford. Spoilers for King of Dragon Pass, if you play that...]

> > > how does Misapplied Worship actually BEGIN?
> > Because there is some magical thing or presence over there,
> > nearby, and it requires some attention. The godi has a
> > prayer to do that, and he goes and offers it a cow or so.
Since I am a big fan of King of Dragon Pass, let me see if I can put it into those terms and clarify it for myself. Now, the Wind Spirits are daimones or the Storm Tribe that you can discover on Kero Fin. You can bring them back to your clan; would they be better reflected with a new subcult, say of Orlanth Thunderous, with one affinity (with the feats of Listening Wind, Seeing Wind, whatever the Narrator wants,) or would they be better reflected with they application of animism, with the class of spirits being Wind Spirits? Since, by the context of the computer game, you seem to be offering them sacrificial worship as opposed to the ecstatic variety, the first would seem to be the case.

> > > Can an individual just decide to
> > > start theistically worshipping some powerful... thingy...
> > > in the hope it grants some assistance,
> > In the hopes?
> > Either you do know what you are worshipping for (help me
> > in war, feed my children), or you do not. (Oh you
> > "strange power here," accept this cow and leave me
> > alone., or "give me the magic you promised.")
> > One day that thing over there talks to the godi and they
> > strike up a deal.
> So, basically, a theist can, possibly, get a successful
> reply from a spirit just from theistic, sacrificial worship,
> without a known form of worship (for that spirit). You just
> have to wait until the spirit notices someone knocking on
> it's Otherworld 'back door'

So, back to my King of Dragon Pass example, Tarard Riel would be an example of a strange spirit that you give sacrificial worship to in order to get his aid. You have no idea what aid that may be: he's not a member of the storm tribe, being a 'foreign' daimones. You sacrifice some sheep to him every year to keep him awake, but for the most part, his minor 'cult' has no worshippers; I imagine no one learns an affinity or feats from him, only going to the godi when they need his special powers. Just the sort of entity the God-  combined in order to screw up the world...

> > >and when it miraculously WORKS you have the
> > >start of a Misapplied Worship?
> > We have a deal, and that is that.
> > Misapplied? Hey, that rock an I have a deal, I have this
> > feat now, and that is that. Orlanth didn't care.
So, if Tarard Riel seems to offer a highly useful power, like Watchfulness, you might have some Orlanth initiates who initiate there as well? I imagine part of the deal the godi might strike would not onlyspecify annual sheep sacrifices, but also make it possible for Tarard Riel to 'call' some of the clan to his worship, but I can't see anyone dedicating himself entirely to the worship of a 'foreign' spirit...

> > Misapplied? Game term. Mixed, game term.
> > Is this helpful or just confusing?

This actually cleared up the questions I had that sparked this thread. Last night, I read the religion chapter of Thunder Rebels from front to back (Great stuff in there! It really promotes more understanding of the Orlanthi than the Hero Wars book, excellent though the latter may be...) and it really clarifies the magical/religious life of the clan. I should read before I ask!