Re: Why should barbarians get all the poetry....

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:58:36 +1000

Hwaet! Wise words and poetry from Jeff Zahari, and fine verse from Peter Larsen, by ways remote and distant waters spread. (Who is this Catallus though, some soft-bodied Tarshite?) :).

> It's most unlikely that any songs the Orlanthi or Lunars or anybody else
> have resemble at all "Scotland the Brave", "Advance Australia Fair" etc.
> Groaning horns, tinkling harps, and chanting would be the sound of a
musical
> event. Instruments in pre-medieval times may have been used more for
> emphasis than melody.

Indeed. Most Gloranthan filk songs are used 'out of game' in convention singalongs or live-action trollball matches. In game, well I can't sing, so I chant anyway, or use an appropriately period recording. Like many game devices (scrolls, maps, feat names) its best to consider songs as artefacts of translation rather than gloranthan realities. And if your players bring their bodhrans, rhythm sticks and duck eggs as well as their dice, even a moot or extended contest develops a rhythm all of its own.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                    John Hughes

Aussie Zen: The Noble Eightfold Righteous Path

 Right of way; right as rain; too right; dead right; about right;  sitting right; bang to rights; and she'll be right.