Re: Praise and a few questions

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:20:23 +0000

> From: "David Boatright" <david.boatright_at_...>
>>I think this would (9 times out of ten) start a rebellion. Lunars
>>subdue enemies mainly by bribery, divide and conquer and similar
>>more subtle measures. They sprinkle in a few atrocities and acts
>>of extreme violence just to "show the stick" before offering the
>>tribe. There are a few exceptions (notably the Aldyrami who can't
>>easily be bribed or divided).
>
>Huh so killing one person and his family will start a rebellion but
>sprinkling in a few atrocities will not.

My reasoning is thus:

Killing the tribal chief as an example is not just killing one person. It might have horrible magical consequences for the tribal wyter and so on. Most of all it is a calculated insult to the tribe. I think that that tribe would rebel out of pride and anger (and putting down the uprising would be incredibly costly to the Lunars).

Killing one or two stickpickers and their families for worshipping Orlanth or not paying taxes just isn't the same.

The Lunars (by-and-large) were very careful about when and where to apply extreme violence. The chose the Telmori amongst others as one target, in part because they got to show extreme ruthlessness to the other tribes (most of whom never liked the Telmori in the first place).

Thom