Re: analogies

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:43:30 -0000

Bryan wrote:

> Sure, lots of them probably know that Orlanthi get together on
> hill tops and worship ... if they want to go stand out in a cow
> pasture and dance and chant at least they aren't gathered inside
> and plotting any real trouble.....

As devil's advocate, it's *extremely* hard to tell the difference between big Orlanthi worship ceremonies and seditious gatherings of rebels. The whole business about "weapontaking", with worship of the murdering usurper who overthrew the Emperor in Godtime, etc. is a bit of a problem for even the most broad-minded Lunar.

>> Incidenatlly, does anyone feel that there are any analogies
>> (dodgy theough they always are) between the Lunars and the
>> sperad of Islam?

> Are there any analogies? Sure. Are they especially strong? I
> wouldn't say so. Islam seemed to catch fire in newly converted
> regions, spreading much like a wildfire with each new region
> providing the fuel to power the flame to spread further. Lunar
> religion doesn't seem to generally be accepted as easily,

Check out the history of the Zero Wane, at:

http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/hle-0wane.html#conquestpeloria

Like Islam, the Lunar religion spread with *phenomenal* speed at first, bogging down later. As for "each new region providing the fuel...", how else do you interpret the role of the Tarshite Kings in driving the Lunar Provincial Government onwards? The zealous converts can do the most (good or bad) for the religion...

Though in deference to Jeff, I think maybe this thread should move to the Glorantha Digest. Jeff is nervous of analogies, unless they are Roman ones... :-)

Cheers, Nick