Re: Re: Glorantha: The Movie

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 09:47:41 -0500

reinierd_at_... wrote:

> I know this topic has come up before and I apologize for harping on
> it again, but my mind refuses to accept that Glorantha has not proved
> licensable to the likes of Diablo/Baldurs Gate/and Their
> Proliferating Imitators. Sheesh, the setting alone would blow those
> games away. You could even (please don't nuke me for this suggestion)
> make a go of the setting within - ack - <wince> a computer DnD rules
> system. There, I've said it. Look, it's only meant as a way to get
> broader appeal, OK? I love the HW rules, but at the end of the day
> when I play one of the PC RPGs I don't pay much attention to the
> rules system but to the story. Glorantha has plenty of that.

I leave that to the likes of David Dunham to explain, again, the vagracies of the computer industry and licencing.

As to Holywood, well, a recognizable property like D&D took 10 years to get underway (and the rights bought) and another 10 before it was turned into a very bad movie.

I don't even want to TALK about the cartoon. Brrr.

> I used to cover the computer/video games industry as a stock analyst
> and know their products well. They seem to suffer from Not Invented
> Here syndrome when it comes to RPGs, but they are far, far behind pen
> and paper in their development. Maybe some of us could convince them
> not to reinvent the wheel?

Yep. That's a possiblity. I'd suggest contacting some of the computer mavens here and seeing what can be done. And do check out King of Dragon Pass if you have not already. =)

> In any case, the current output from Issaries and the fan base is
> great. It just deserves more recognition.

Agree'd.

Jeff