Re: Re: Praise and a few questions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:03:38 -0500

Thom Baguley wrote:

> > From: "David Boatright" <david.boatright_at_...>
> >>I think this would (9 times out of ten) start a rebellion. Lunars
> >>subdue enemies mainly by bribery, divide and conquer and similar
> >>more subtle measures. They sprinkle in a few atrocities and acts
> >>of extreme violence just to "show the stick" before offering the
> >>tribe. There are a few exceptions (notably the Aldyrami who can't
> >>easily be bribed or divided).
> >
> >Huh so killing one person and his family will start a rebellion but
> >sprinkling in a few atrocities will not.
>
> My reasoning is thus:
>
> Killing the tribal chief as an example is not just killing one person.
> It
> might have horrible magical consequences for the tribal wyter and so
> on.
> Most of all it is a calculated insult to the tribe. I think that that
> tribe
> would rebel out of pride and anger (and putting down the uprising
> would be
> incredibly costly to the Lunars).

Killing the Tribal King and his family is bad, yes. The Dundalos rebellion started by a tax-farmer dishonouring one of the king's daughters, IIRC. The tribal king embodies much of the Tribal magic and is very much a symbol of the health and luck of the tribe.

He's the focus for much worship and much ceremony. Killing him would be noticed... And if the crops fail, tehn we all starve. Killing the king is very symbolic.

> Killing one or two stickpickers and their families for worshipping
> Orlanth
> or not paying taxes just isn't the same.

And, in particularly harsh tribes, they might do the same themslves -- if tribute is not met by the vanquished clan.

> The Lunars (by-and-large) were very careful about when and where to
> apply
> extreme violence. The chose the Telmori amongst others as one target,
> in
> part because they got to show extreme ruthlessness to the other tribes
> (most of whom never liked the Telmori in the first place).

Making a demonstraion and an example to others. The destruction of the Dundalos was swift and merciless. I don't think there was TIME for the other tribes to rebel (if they were so inclined) before teh Lunars had presented the Quivini with a fiat acompli.

Jeff