Re: Re: Raining on Parade

From: Jeffrey Zahari <jeff_zahari_at_...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 02:30:58 +1100

>Very nice! Did you compose that yourself, or adapt it from a saga? I
>may just have to take another look; that's the kind of thing that
>would definitely be useful during a game.
>
>Guy

Why, sir, I cribbed it from the last lines of "Beowulf" (tr. K.Crossley-Holland). Seamus Heaney's is better, though.

This (slightly adapted) from the Finnesburgh Fragment:

Then the young king spoke, a novice in battle: "This light is not the light of dawn; no fiery dragon flies overhead; The gables of this hall are not lit up with shining flames; But the Red Moon Men draw near with swords of steel. The birds of battle screech,
Shield answers shaft.

The rosy moon wanders on her way
Below the clouds, gleaming;
evil deeds will now be done,