Re: Re: analogies

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <janjero_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:48:15 +0100

> It just goes to show that the Empire is a complex entity. I wasn't denying
> the aptness of your models, just showing that those other influences seem
> be detectable. As you know, I have also argued for the Persian and Muslim
> connections. My own in-play version these days is probably one-third
> Roman/Etruscan/Greek/Macedonian, one third Persian (Carmania=Parthia),
> measure of Assyrian/Babylonian (the influence of Dara Happa), a sprinkle
of
> Byzantium and a dash of Eastern-type mysticism (hence the difficulty in
> attempting to differentiate Lunar mystics from Kralori ones). I also keep
in
> mind the Silk Road and the weird little kingdoms that sprang up on
cultural
> crossroads like the Graeco-Indian kingdom of Bactria.

Sounds like a good recipe to me, for the LE model. Let me add that (for the value it may have) Carmania is the ancient name of Kyrman, a region of actual Iran, towards the southern coast of the Gulf (or already on the Indian Ocean, I don't remember exactly).

> A sample of where I'm heading....? Feel free to pee in the soup, anyone.
> Bear in mind I've only just started.

Let's see.

> MYSTICISM IN THE LUNAR EMPIRE
>
> Lunar mysticism exhibits fundamental differences from that of the Eastern
> mystics (the Dragon Way). While Kralori believe that reality is an
illusion
> that must be penetrated in order to achieve enlightenment, the Taraltarans
> believe that the Universal Power is immanent in all beings, including
trees,
> humans etc. Thus the formula 'We are all us' becomes 'I am all'. The
> barriers to be penetrated in order to find the cosmic secret lie within
the
> self.
>
> "I am the cosmos and the cosmos is me."
> Berkali, 3rd Wane astronomer

Ok. The Taraltarans are immanent mystics, no doubt.

> The Taraltarans use music and dance in quest of cosmic oneness. They stage
> elaborate, whirling dances in which their flashing double scimitars weave
> web of steel around and through each other as the wielders themselves
weave > in between the other dancers. The dances are so complicated that it can take
> a lifetime to master their intricacies, for they are the motions of the
> universe itself. Frequently masters depart this life during one of these
> dances, at the very point at which they have finally mastered all the 9
> million steps.

Are there only male Taraltarans? Does everybody use this scimitar-dance warlike approach? Maybe there is a also a strip-dance (no not strip-tease, a dance using strips and ribbons) as a more pacific counterpart.

> The dances are not uncommonly held in public squares and markets in the
> cities; and often spontaneously when several dervishes meet by chance as
> they wander, begging for their food and sleeping anywhere they can lie
down. > The only possessions a dervish cares for at all (not even requiring a bowl
> to eat from) are her pair of scimitars, which are necessary for the dance.

Dervishes? Yes, but also other dancers and danceresses. I don't remember the indian name for danceresses, but they were a recurrent secondary character in those old-fashioned adventure books taking place in victorian or earlier India.

Ciao
Gian