Re: The Dundealos

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <janjero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:55:16 +0100

Not that the matter is really crucial, but

> Why? The Praxians hate the Sartarites and the Lunars are chummy with
> the Sables. If you meant that it would encourage rebellion in the
> River of Cradles, then most of the Heortlings there are either a) people
> who emmigrated during the Imperial Age and care nothing for Sartar,
> or b) cowards who quit Sartar and did nothing to help it when the
> Lunars attacked. It's hardly fertile grounds for a broad-based
> rebellion against the evil Red Moon, is it?

I use the Byzantine rule: avtokratoroi (sp?) used to exile defeated people very afar from their homeland. In this way, they avoided any possibility of further rebellion, forced people to tame a new land occupying their energies on survival rather than revenge and... made place for a counter exile of people from the other side of the empire in the exiled's area. They relied on severing any link to the friendship and neighbourhood contacts the exiled had for assuring that no one could hear news from the exiled anymore. Legends and false rumours on their fate were more useful than "they flew to their relatives in the adjacent, even if inhospitable, region" to prevent further insurgencies.
I argue that someone, probably Fazzur made a strategic error by allowing an entire section of the tribe to be exiled or to flee in Prax, where they already had contacts among the Poljoni!
Were I the Provincial Overseer, I would count this fact as a blame for the Governor General's conduct.
"Maybe the Tarshite mind of Wideread is not so used to the imperial subtleties our beloved ruler taught us," Appius Luxius comments to his staff, "we could pay a nigh cost in Prax or even in Sartar for his soft-hearthedness in the near future".

Ciao
Gian