Re: The Dundealos

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:54:57 -0000

Bruce Ferrie wrote:

> I think Fazzur has bigger things to deal with than hunting down a
few refugees.
> Like the invasion of Heortland.
>
> It doesn't mean that letting the Dundealos go won't turn out to be
>a mistake in the long run.

In addition remember that creating refugees is a valid strategic move. Consider the Pol-Joni - they have blood-ties with the Dundealos, might they be sufficently angered to attack the Lunars? Not now - they will be busy absorbing refugess. The Dundealos have about 10,000 at the time of rebellion, the Enstalos about 3,000 after; so I like Bruce's figure of 1/3 killed, 1/3 converted, 1/3 flee. So the Pol-Joni have just got about 3000 refugees pouring into their community. That is a BIG problem. You have to shelter, feed, provide roles for 3,000 people - on the Praxian border. The Pol Joni are somewhere between 5-15,000 strong - so that is a massive influx of people and represents 20-50% - a massive economic burden and a probably also a massive social upheaval.

Blitzkreig tactics in WWII were designed to create regfugees, because of the placed a huge burden on the defenders, clogged roads, used up resources etc.

And the old Dundealos lands have been ethnically cleansed, and that was a Lunar objective.

Ian