RE: Heortling Mills

From: Richard, Jeff <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:42:18 -0800

Let me add my two cents on this one -

I think that the Heortlings have mills - wind and (to a lesser extent) river. I have no trouble with believing that they have the technology - the Heortlings aren't savages, after all. Indeed, I think that in some technical arts (metal-working, woodworking) they match or even surpass the Dara Happans in skill.

Greg sez:

>A primary function of the clan is of food storage and
redistribution. This

>assures its members get equivalent food each year. The clan mill is
an

>appropirate place for this.

I agree. Mills should be clan property - possibly a lucrative source of income for the clan as a whoe (or possibly a source of chief's revenues.).

>I actually have a lot of trouble rejecting the idea that Orlanthi
have wind

>mills.

Please don't. The thought of windmills dotting the hills is a pleasant one.

>>Watermills would be a dubious foreign idea possibly upsetting the
local

>>stream nymphs and plagued with gremlins. (See TotRM#19)
>Alternately these might be allowed to ONLY cult members of stream
nuymphs,

>etc.

Nah, they simply require annual ceremonies where the clan gives gifts and worship to the local creek or river. Mythically, the right to place waterwheels in the river might be rooted in Orlanth's conquest of the waters (air defeats water).

        Jeff