Re: Heortling Mills

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:18:32 +0000

> From: "Jeffrey Zahari" <jeff_zahari_at_...>
>I believe that the 'corn dole' of the Romans was in fact handed out as
>grain, to be ground at mills at the recipients' own cost. Orlanthi life is
>not as organised as life in a Roman city.

In the recent BBC "What the Romans did for us" series, they re-enacted Roman soldiers making bread by hand from grain. I suspect they ground and baked it themselves in most cases. It was quite convincing (in that they made palatable bread in quite a short period of time with minimal equipment).

>But the old Wind Temple IS hard to give up. It visibly demonstrates
>Orlanth's power, and perhaps helps to 'generate' magic in ceremonies. If it
>was the only one, however, or one of only a few, it would be all the more
>impressive. It would not need to be a working mill at all and may not even
>be thought of as such--a 'wind tower', perhaps, or a 'whirligig'.

They might make could locations for a temple or clan wyter.

Thom