Re: number of kids in an initiation

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:34:07 +1000

Douglas does the math on Heortling initiation.

>For the boys, it is
> 25% (5/19ths rounded down), which is 75 or so. That seems kinda big to
> me. Since they are not yet initiated into any specific god (that
> happens 2 years later), there is no easy division by aspect (Allfather
> wannabes come here, Thunderous wannabes go over to Snorri Thunderbreath,
> ....) Is there one huge ceremony for the whole clan? Are things split
> out by stead and/or bloodline?

Initiation preparation and rituals are spread over two years, with the important/dangerous ceremonies usually conducted in secluded locales. As it encompasses both religious and social concerns, I'd have no problems with much of it being done in small groups or even individually. For obvious reasons, the whole group, their sponsors and teachers will gather for the large ceremonies and Other Side journeys.

So an initiate might spend Dark Season at Uncle Matralath's or Aunty Nan's hearth, using the time indoors to learn myth and worship. In Fire Season they will be sent into the hills to 'help with the herding'. And perhaps the local priestess/godar is getting old, and asks that a group of young folk lend a hand about the stead...

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                     John Hughes

The hills of Largertarn
Midst the storms of Ohorlanth
Are two silver horns,
Two breasts childing,