RE: Re: number of kids in an initiation

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:08:13 -0000

> I'd forgotten all about that book. I must go an re-read it (I
> think I was
> about 12 at the time). Her "Sword at Sunset" is a fine Roman-Celtic
> Arthurian novel too. What was the other one ... "The Lantern Bearers"?

Hmm, me too. I don't think I have read Lantern Bearers, but I did read Knight Crusader, Eagle Of The Ninth and Sword At Sunset. A quick web search also turned up: Mark Of The Horse Lord, The Outcast and Silver Branch, but I have a feeling there may be others.

Actually, Eagle Of The Ninth has an excellent premise that I have been meaning to steal for Glorantha - the idea of the lost eagle. A brief summary I found goes:

"Eagle of the Ninth tells the story of a young Roman soldier (Marcus) who is discharged from the legions after a crippling injury. After his recovery, he sets out on a quest to find out the fate of the Ninth Hispana Legion, which his father had led. The Legion had set off to quell a rebellion of the British tribes and marched off through the mists, and no one heard from them again. Marcus's goal, with the the help of his friend Esca, a freed British slave, is to find out what happened to his father's ill-fated Legion and, if possible, bring back its eagle so it could be reformed. This story is about people searching for answers to the past, and for what their future will hold, and of self-growth."

This plot could be exploited from either angle - if something similar makes sense in Glorantha, particularly in Dragon Pass. Anyone know if there are any "lost legions", with vexilla, that might fit the part?