Re: Windmills

From: rmv1_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:44:17 -0000

[And, of course, it would help if I actually put the replies to the text I quote...]
> An alternative is that your miller has some other craft (e.g. a
> barrel-making cooper) that can be set aside during Earth season, so
> the clan chief does not need any additional labor, but the miller
> needs to be paid for his time.

As I stated in my earlier post, there are a lot of maintenance issues with a mill. The miller is going to be incredibly busy during Earth season taking care of the needs of the farmers. I imagine different clans have different takes on miller occupational exclusivity. In some clans, he might be an Ohorlanth god-talker with milling on the side. In others, he could be the world's busiest farmer for the rest of the year, acting as a half-carl or cottar. He might be an expert craftsman who takes care of other complex works during the year. He could be a warrior. Maybe he runs the mills for the entire tribe...

> Again, figuring out how much each stead must contribute is a
> political issue.

I'm in hearty agreement. Perhaps it's best to leave it an exercise in negotiation as to how much people have to contribute from the grain brought in...

Roland