Rainbow Mounds

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:02:06 -0000

OK, so we're running it. Or trying to. I keep finding HW very confusing :(

The party have found, and killed, several rock lizards. In an attempt to make sure none remain behind them, one PC has gone, all alone, to the Grey Cave. Where, of course, he was attacked by three ghosts.

How, in HW, is a "normal", Orlanth-initiate-type PC meant to handle ghosts? "Run away" is about all I can think of. Or resist possession so well that the ghost loses AP. (Move this question to the Roolz list if it needs it, but I get the impression I'm missing a very obvious point here).

Anyway, the rest of the party followed up to find an unconscious rock lizard in the room. As more of them came along (blocking the exit), the first ones got attacked, and soon we had a second rock lizard.

At present they're dithering in the middle: some still entering, one trying to carry two rock lizards out via any other exit, two more trying not to be possessed. (The exit he's picked leads to the Rock Lizard Nest, which may be a bad move).

On inspection, I can't find any way in which the players can damage the ghosts. And I can't find any way of changing them back to normal form. I've made the decision to let them stay sentient, as otherwise they'll be out of play for way too long, but again, what obvious point am I missing here? Unless they get themselves sorted soon, we'll have a party of six rock lizards, and I can't believe this is what was intended.