Re: Rainbow Mounds

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:19:34 -0000

Ick.

> How, in HW, is a "normal", Orlanth-initiate-type PC meant to handle
> ghosts? "Run away" is about all I can think of. Or resist possession
> so well that the ghost loses AP. (Move this question to the Roolz
list
> if it needs it, but I get the impression I'm missing a very obvious
> point here).

I confess I had a similar problem when I ran my game. Our goup had great trouble attacking the spirits -- other than the Humakti. I generally allowed the heroes to either improvise some defence (strong will and the like), get help from the newts, and Run Away Quickly And Come Back better prepared.

(Getting a quick course in spirit combat or the like from a friendly kolating was one solution, another was to get help on how to fight the ghosts from the Newtlings.) THe heroes eventually just outlasted the spirits by surviving their attacks until they had won -- most of the heroe's actions were involved with elping each other, rather than attacking... oter than the Humakti who was busy chopping up the Spirits with his Ghost Slaying Sword 13 and the usual boyish Humakti relish for hacking things up.

> Anyway, the rest of the party followed up to find an unconscious
rock
> lizard in the room. As more of them came along (blocking the exit),
> the first ones got attacked, and soon we had a second rock lizard.

Ouch. Pretty nasty that. Heroes can always run away when outclassed.

But you can't really expect that...

> At present they're dithering in the middle: some still entering, one
> trying to carry two rock lizards out via any other exit, two more
> trying not to be possessed. (The exit he's picked leads to the Rock
> Lizard Nest, which may be a bad move).

Oh dear. Perhaps the newtlings will have a way to unpossess the poor heroes. Of course, now they have a REASON to learn the spirit combat or the like.

> On inspection, I can't find any way in which the players can damage
> the ghosts. And I can't find any way of changing them back to normal
> form. I've made the decision to let them stay sentient, as otherwise
> they'll be out of play for way too long, but again, what obvious
point
> am I missing here? Unless they get themselves sorted soon, we'll
have
> a party of six rock lizards, and I can't believe this is what was
> intended.

It may have been that the heroes didnt have the skills to deal with the matter... unfortunately. An NPC to scream and run away does help on occasion, but that's a personal preference.

Of course, the newtlings might show up, drawn by the ruckus. They are only about 100' away.

And they should have some spirit combat ablity -- even if its not on their writeup, I've been informed that the newts are animist by nature.

Hope this helps,

Jeff