RE: architecture

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:24:44 -0600 (CST)

Gareth Martin says:

> I was wondering if the Lunars make much use of Ziggurat or pyramid
> style,
> umm, mega-constructions? I mean I know there are some mighty large
> structures, but are, say, the Reaching Moon temples on this sort of
> scale?

The Dara Happans certainly do, so the Lunars have a good source of inspiration and technique. Based on the time Tatius takes to build his Reaching Moon Temple (I'm pretty sure the ceremony when it was destroyed was not the last step in its construction), the Reaching Moon Temples are probably pretty big (they clear quite an area in Nochet (?) for another one). Whether they are ziggurats or something else, I don't have a very clear idea. A counter argument might be that sacred building in Glorantha takes a long time becasue materials need to be blessed, placed on specific days, require special rituals and supplies. A contractor's error in the RW can delay building by weeks and months; in Glorantha, a delay could put the whole thing off for a season or a year.

Peter Larsen