Re: Re: Berserk Kinslaying

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:29:41 +1000

I've always had difficulties with how clans deal with capital crimes, and for a long time played that clan elders, after a rite of purification, could ritually dispatch the offender themselves. There were problems with that of course: kinslaying is kinslaying. And kinslaying is so abhorrent that it is not even listed in Andrin's list of capital crimes (TR 44) - it is a hole in the sacred order, without hope of justice, revenge or compassion.

I'm seeking another way. For this reason, I found Bryan's insight particularly helpful.

> I think at some level by breaking one of Orlanth's most fundamental
> rules you lose that all pervasive background protection against chaos
> that he normally provides. So in a way it is a crime that the cosmos
> itself will punish. At least this is how it works in King of Dragon
> Pass :) Possibly spirits of retribution would attack too, depending
> on what oaths of mutual protection you have within the clan.

Yes, that's the solution. Kinslaying invites chaos. Immediately, the wyter turns against you - you have to flee the tula.Outlawry follows when the law moot meets, and from then on any clansman may kill you on sight. An accidental slaying? Go straight to the chief priestess and invoke her protection until the moot. You'd probably be advised to lie low for a while anyway, and you can say goodbye to status and clan trust.

What of 'lesser' capital crimes such as secret murder, king-slaying, or murdering a guest at your hearth. Here individuals are held responsible, and TR states that 'no true Heortling shirks from wielding a swift blade'. But as noted in the same paragraph (TR 44), kinslaying is kinslaying, kin will not slay kin. Normally, a law moot takes seasons to run its course, and the accused walks free whether innocent or guilty. (Justice is about compensation, not punishment). However, if Khaldra SharpTongue has just murdered the king in his sevens, or has a stead full of broo and chaos cultists, obviously immediate action is required. Perhaps in such circumstances, the Ring and bloodline elders will meet in secret, and if they agree the chief will despatch a humakti (who is not kin) to do what is necessary.

Thoughts or reactions?

> There is a bit of a question of "are all clan kin?" Possibly if the
> victim were from another bloodline it may not be considered
> kinslaying as such (as least as far as being an open door for
> chaos). The clan might punish the killers bloodline to some degree,
> and would probably outlaw the killer (to prevent any revenge violence
> from soiling the clan, if for no other reason).

Since folk from other bloodlines may well be sharing your hearth, I don't think such legal niceties would apply given how central and abhorent kinslaying is. The injunction against kinslaying applies to everyone in your clan, and to clan descendants (children) on the tula even if they belong to another clan. Yes, if the act is between bloodlines then compensation and outlawry might follow, but the effects of the kinslaying, and the clan's rejection will be just as profound.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

"We are your heroes.
 Audacious fameseekers who relish close combat.  Mad to be first among the blades,
 Now wounded 50 times, stone sane.
 And we will burn Greece out."