Re: Just a thought

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:01:21 -0000

I might allow, especially for an NPC a tradeff. Rmember, when you loose a magic affinity due to changing cults, you merely cannot USE it and if y ou come back to it or join a cult that practices similar magic, you regain use of it. That's why Starkval, Helamakt and Hedkoranth are a major destination of Ex-Orlanth A cultists -- they can keep their Combat and/or Wind magics.

In the case of something like moving on to something like TKT/Asrelia which is a permanent change, I might allow one to sacrifice the now-lost affinities permently to gain a greater facility with the new magic. Perhaps on a 2/3 basis or the like. That way when Mother Vlea Blackoak becomes Granny Blackoak, she's still a terror to her family and a horror to her enemies (love that Incite Vengance 3w2 trait)

But remember, a starting 'young adult' has a 17 in their affinties and they have only been initiates for a few years. I think that gaining +1 in all the cult affinites per year might be of use - IF they maintain an active role as some sort of goddi, earth-woman or priest/priestess. But this is more for NPCs (or for PC's who drop out of a campaign for a while and come back). Hmmm. Assume inititation at 15 (giving a 12 in all affinities) and that the starting character is in his or her early 20's (at most) which means the starting keyworld of 17 is... +5 years. Once you have that 17, I think that things slow down unless you spend a lot of time doing magic for yourself or the community (god-botherer/spirit guy/priestoid keyword).

It works more or less -- very, very, VERY fast and dirty though. I'd only use it for NPC character building.

Jeff