Sartarite Sex & Marriage [Duck-Free Post] was Berserk Kinslaying

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:33:39 +1000

Folks

Andre and Benedict have been discussing clan exogamy. The topic was originally called Berserk Kinslaying, but that's not the type of sex I'll be discussing.

Thankfully. :)

There's been *intense* discussion of this in the past, and if you'd like to explore further, check out the archives of the Gloranthan Digest and the Hero Wars list. Personally, I feel like Douglas Adams' bowl of petunias*.

Benedict gave a nice summary.

> The subject of clans, bloodlines and exogamy has been the cause of
> immense debate on the Glorantha Digest. Basically, the KoS
> information should not be taken as 100% reliable, and isn't even self
> consistent. There were two schools of thought: exogamy means not
> marrying within your bloodline and exogamy means not marrying within
> your clan.
>
> A definitive statement in TR is that it is the latter.

Here's my attempt at a relatively concise summary of the issue and its problems.

First up, my perspective on this might seem a little too technical at times - the curse of far too many kinship seminars. Apologies in advance.

My personal take is that there *can* be sex but not marriage between clan members who are not of the same bloodline. However, it's an area that is impossible to draw neat lines around, and there will always be variation, both in traditions between tribes and in the gulf between law, belief and reality.

Why the confusion?

[Personally, I love this 'subjective historical' source-document approach to Glorantha, where rather than 'objective truth', our sources can be biased, have limited information or be just plain wrong. The final decision lies with the Narrator. KOS is brilliant at this! In Hero Wars, to date, such perspectives are largely implicit.]

So what does this mean? It means ultimately its the narrator's call. However, there are broad guidelines that still hold.

Your bloodline is your family. Tribal laws universally state no marriage within a bloodline, and no sex. In reality, marriage is extremely rare, and always bitterly divisive - both partners will almost certainly be outlawed. Some experimental sex will always occur among the young, and perhaps more passionate though secret and discrete affairs among members of the same bloodline who live at different steads. (Passion among those who grow up together is very rare - familiarity breeds contempt).

Clans intermarry according to local rules, of which there is an enormous range of variation. The system is under pressure, but most can still maintain the traditions. Marriage within a clan is taboo (after all, one of the prime reasons for marriage is to form alliances *between* clans). If a couple have a particular enduring passion, then they may be able to redefine the kinship identity of one of them (not as difficult as it might seem). Or they will simply live together informally at a communal hearth, which will attract some gossip but basically will only bother stuffy Elmali and Vela types.

Its considered best not to have sex with fellow clansfolk beyond your bloodline, but this maxim is pretty much ignored in the majority of cases. (Similar status to 'Date a good Catholic girl'). This is one area however, where I think local traditions may vary considerably. Check with your narrator on local law, custom and enforcement before proceeding. :)

The potential variation in kinship systems and customs means a Narrator has great flexibility in creating situations necessary for her unfolding story. That's the way it should be. :)

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                   John Hughes