Re: The Way of Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 10:05:37 +1200

Pierre Pradal:

>I think ('xcuse if i'm wrong) that Illumination is like Awakening in
>Buddishm (so an Illuminated is like a Buddha).

Illumination is an incomplete form of Awakening. To use the Buddhist parallel, an illuminate has seen the four wrongs, is grappling with their implications, is unsatisfied with the answers that he gets, and has yet not sat underneath the Bo tree.

>So, do you think some Illuminate will be back after death like a
>Bodisatvah ?

Both the Dragonewts and the Teshnans return after their mortal deaths (and the Teshnan transmigration of life-flames was based on a Buddhist parable). It's also possible for enlightened people to stay on after their awakening so they can help others and the Kralori are an example of this.

>And, if yes...: do you think Nysalor (for example) will be back a day
>in a process of re-incarnation?

The Lunars say that Nysalor has already returned as He was an incarnation of their Red Goddess. The Broos of Dorastor might look forward to the days when Nysalor will once again lead them in the conquest of the whole world.

--Peter Metcalfe