Better World Building Through List Bookmarks

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 10:54:52 +1000

Gedday Folks

I'm in deadline mode at the moment, which naturally means I've spent more-than-average time staring at my pc screen and pleasantly if aimlessly surfing as I wait for my muse to visit / brain to find gear / caffeine-tannin-chocolate-guarana to kick in. Which led me to the Hero Wars list Bookmarks page.

I haven't paid much attention to it before: it may be that the interface changes that came with the transition from e-groups led to their creation or improvement. But having had reason to use them recently, I'm impressed.

It began when a person on another list posted a bookmarks folder on yurts. Being a typical Gloranthaphile, I found it totally indispensible, and began to visit the folder on a daily basis as I dove deeper into the Eternal Mysteries of Yurthood.

So I'd like to draw everyone's attention to our own Hero Wars Bookmarks page, and encourage you to contribute to it and make greater use of it as an adjunct to our discussions.

If you're unfamiliar with the Yahoo implementation of list bookmarks, they're just like your web browser's Bookmarks or Favourites folder. You create a folder with a specific topic, [say Orlanthi Poetry - which is exactly what Jane Williams did during our recent discussions] and then add Internet links to that folder, together with a descriptive paragraph (which is a distinct improvement over regular bookmarks). Other list users can then add to the original folder as they discover more relevant web pages, as I added more links to the folder created by Jane.

I've started a few more folders to get the storm brewing:

Jane has already created: