Re: [Q] - pdf's for sale on the web?

From: tim_at_...
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 13:50:57 -0000

This is true, except in the round about way that a well supported system is more likely to attract new purchasers than one without any visible support. I'm assuming this "cut for space" material has already been written (I know this doesn't make it free, but it is not going to take any more of Issaries time and resources to give it to a fanzine than to leave it on the shelf until 2002...)

>> In order to buy downloads, I'm pretty much going to have to use my
>> Credit Card, which is my least favourite method of paying for
>> anything. To do so from Issaries further more means I'm going to
>> have to do so in US Dollars - Not my favourite currency, which
>> means I'm going to be guessing the "real cost" in sterling when I
>> decide to make the purchase.

> I can understand this, but won't you have to use a credit card to
> get most fanzines as well? It's certainly been my experience.

No, although this may change in the future, as with the winding up of Tales, the Reaching Moon Megacorp may no longer be importing fanzines. However my local shop has stocked Tradetalk/RQA/YBoT/BoDR in addition to Tales for some time. To the best of my knowledge these are ordered through Esvedium (one of the main UK distributors) so should be available to any UK games shop (While in print at any rate!)

> You're correct here, and I was not thinking of the problems of A4
> users at all. Sorry. Not having too much experience with PDF, I'm
> unsure how much extra work reformatting would be (on the production
> end; I'm assuming most of us do not have the full Acrobat) to
> present both 81/2 x 11 and A4 formats.

As others have said, I don't think there is a great problem with 8.5x11 and A4, - Of course HW material might not be formated for 8.5x11, but rather for whatever size Trade paperbacks come out to, which might make printing more awkward for everyone. It is something that I believe has got better with later releases of the Acrobat Reader too

> I don't mean to dismiss your reservations; I wish that Issaries
> could afford to produce a new book monthly, but I don't think it's
> going to happen (not anytime soon).

I'm sure we'd all love that, although those on more restricted incomes might be happier with longer to save up;)

> the question is which gives the most (material, flexibility, lack
> of hassle, access, cost savings, speed of publishing) advantages?

True, I just don't think downloads of material offer much flexibility or lack of hassle (I need to be at my PC to read them, or print them off on piles of loose paper. I need to connect to download them, which means I have to think about it when I'm on line and at my own PC, I can't read them on the train, in bed, or in the bath). They don't offer ideal access - You can only get them if you have an Internet enabled Computer, with the appropriate reader software, and a Credit Card or other method of remote payment. Making small credit card payments in a foreign currency is a very expensive way of buying anything...