RE: Conversion

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 22:10:56 +1200

At 11:02 5/04/01 +0100, you wrote:

> > Worship the Goddess and you pay less taxes.

>I cun understand nominal, even funcitonal obedience at this level, would
>this be sufficient to actually convert a nation, like Tarsh?

It worked for Islam (too successfully at first - the revenues from taxing unbelievers plunged and the resulting crisis led to the ousting of the Ummayad Caliphate by the Abbasids).

Furthermore even if the original conversion is only half-hearted, the children of the converts will not have much attachment to the old ways. That was how Tarsh was converted: over time.

--Peter Metcalfe