Re : Innstafar: a Viking tradition for the Orlanth's Kin ?

From: Pi/R Pradal <Pradal.PiR_at_...>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 13:46:22 -0000

Hi,

> > (First, thanks for all this informations about illumination.)
> >
> > Second, I read with attention the exchange of mail on Vikings
> > longhouses and the parallelism which was made with traditionnal
> > Orlanthi houses.
> > In these mails, I did not read a word about Innstafar, both
pillars
> > which supported the roof of Viking longhouses. These sacred
pillars
> > were carved out of wood and bearing the image of the Gods...
>
> Ah, how had I forgotten about this!
>
> <snip>
> > their longhouses (exiles or looks for new lands), they took with
them
> > the innstafars. Once arrived at destination, they threw them to
the
> > sea and built their new houses in the place where innstafar ran
> > aground.
>
> > I think that it is a idea to keep this vikings tradition for
Orlanthi.

> Good Idea.

Thanks !.. "8)

> > As Vikings innstafars, the innstafar of my Orlanthi campaign are
> > bearing the image of Gods (such as Orlanth and Ernalda) or
heroes /
> > ancestors of the clan (example: to sartar).
> >
> > But I am confronted with two small problems:
> > 1-Which name for Orlanthi Innstafars ?
>
> Innstafar works for me. Or I'll look for a traditional Finnish
> translation.

Ok, thanks for all... "8)

> > 2-Orlanthis are not viking (no travels by sea), so how to use
these
> > pillars as did it the Vikings in the case of an exil for example ?
> >
> > Do you have any idea ?
>
> Parhaps during the ceremony to start building a new longhouse,
sacred
> wind/earth daimones come and bear the Innstafar into a spot favored
by
> the gods?

Actually this is the way it works in my Orlanthi campaign. Storm spirits of Kolat take away the innstafar !... In this episode, one of the innstafar have changed... bearing an image of a God/ancestor about whom nobody heard in the clan ! Certainly a message from orlanth himself !...

Best regards,
Pierre.