Re: Becoming a Chaos creature

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 10:46:23 -0500

Philippe says:

>I think I've read somewhere that by regularly eating human flesh (in
>secret), someone might become an Ogre. Is that true ?

        It's at least a theory that has been suggested. I don't know if it's a fact.

>If that's the case, I suppose it affects only humans, because Uz,
>Dwarfs or Aldryami don't seem to suffer from this kind of
>transformation ... (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
>Could someone please tell me more about this ?

        It's a human problem, in my opinion ("When a human eats a human, that is camnnibalism; when an Uz eats a human, that is breakfast, lunch, or dinner."). Different peoples have different rules. It's possible that those people of the East Isles aren't ogres becasue they eat people under controlled (semi-ritual) circumstances.

>Can this be generalized ? Will a regular rapist slowly become a Broo ?
>(hear Thed murmuring in his ear or something like that, in parallel to
>Urain talking to excessively violent persons).
>If it is possible, how come warbands or lunar troops are not affected
>? Can a Wyter or Vexilla protect its members from this kind of
>consequences ?

        I think the question is whether or not the practice is a way of life or not. Rape, extreme brutality, cannibalism, etc. occur in Glorantha, but they are not ways of life for most cultures and rarely consuming passions even for individuals. A rapist, for example, whether a Lunar occupier or a Orlanthi thane, is not only committing a vile act (and probably a crime) but sacificing to Thed. If that person commits enough rapes, they may attract Thed's attention. If she's happy with them, she might give them "gifts" to make them more effective rapists. Most people, rapists or not, will not be too happy with this, but that's what you get for sacrificing to chaos. I suppose a military unit or clan (!) that indulged in habitual rape might find their wyter "contaminated." It could make a good set-piece for a campaign -- the formal "execution" of a unit's wyter after a rebellion, atrocity, or whatever,

        One additional point. I think some crimes -- secret murder, definitely, but also probably rape, cannbalism, knowingly spreading disease, extreme random violence, and other anti social behaviors weaken the defense of Orlanthi clans against chaos. If the clan can find and deal with the perpetrator, great -- that person can be outlawed to face the music (death, chaos, becoming a Broo). If they can't or won't find the person, the whole clan risks Broo infestations, attacks by [chaos horror of your choice], visits by Malia, etc. Not to mention agents of reprisal, loss of magics, etc. These crimes are pretty serious, especially if committed "serially." All in my opinion.

Peter Larsen