Re: Becoming a Chaos creature

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:51:06 -0700

At 10:46 AM 4/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter Larsen says:

> It's a human problem, in my opinion ("When a human eats a human, that is
>camnnibalism; when an Uz eats a human, that is breakfast, lunch, or
>dinner."). Different peoples have different rules. It's possible that those
>people of the East Isles aren't ogres becasue they eat people under
>controlled (semi-ritual) circumstances.
Correct.

>I think the question is whether or not the practice is a way of life or
>not. Rape, extreme brutality, cannibalism, etc. occur in Glorantha, but
>they are not ways of life for most cultures and rarely consuming passions
>even for individuals.

Correct. Note, whoever, that any activity is not Thed-like, but in fact Thed itself. Does someone become chaotic for a single of these wrongs? He might! Maybe not, but anyone who cares whether he is or not had better be quite worried about his spiritual polltion for any such transgression.

>A rapist, for example, whether a Lunar occupier or a
>Orlanthi thane, is not only committing a vile act (and probably a crime)
>but sacificing to Thed. If that person commits enough rapes, they may
>attract Thed's attention. If she's happy with them, she might give them
>"gifts" to make them more effective rapists.
Itis not a question of "may attract Thed's attention" and "if she's happy with them." The act = the goddess. Do it, she is there. She has no choice. She doesn't have to be happy or sad about anything for a person to get such "gifts" from her.

>Most people, rapists or not,
>will not be too happy with this, but that's what you get for sacrificing to
>chaos. I suppose a military unit or clan (!) that indulged in habitual rape
>might find their wyter "contaminated." It could make a good set-piece for a
>campaign -- the formal "execution" of a unit's wyter after a rebellion,
>atrocity, or whatever,

Great scenario idea. How about writing it up for Flame of Sartar (ISS1403)?

> One additional point. I think some crimes -- secret murder, definitely,
>but also probably rape, cannbalism, knowingly spreading disease, extreme
>random violence, and other anti social behaviors weaken the defense of
>Orlanthi clans against chaos. If the clan can find and deal with the
>perpetrator, great -- that person can be outlawed to face the music (death,
>chaos, becoming a Broo). If they can't or won't find the person, the whole
>clan risks Broo infestations, attacks by [chaos horror of your choice],
>visits by Malia, etc. Not to mention agents of reprisal, loss of magics,
>etc. These crimes are pretty serious, especially if committed "serially."
>All in my opinion.

Mine too.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>