Re: Hsunchen : What do they look like

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:33:04 -0700

Philippe asked about hsunchen. My web page <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ralios/hsunchen.html> has a bunch of general info.

>I've considered IMG that they are not human beings, and told my
>players so. It gives them another perspective that 'these dangerous
>guys running in the woods', but it raises a few questions :

I believe they are functionally human in all particulars. (They are also other than human, in that they have an animal form.)

>Mostly, what do they look like ? In the pictures I've seen (french
>ones admittedly), they look like wareran humans... But I suppose
>there
>are some geographical variations : bigger and blonder in Fronela,
>smaller for the Yak people in the Shan Shan Mountains, etc. But do
>these Yak-people look like kralori or not ?(that a yes IMG, not that
>the PCs are prone to see one one day).

They look like people. I believe it's canonical that eastern hsunchen look like Kralori.

>Do they have non-human features, even in 'human' form ? The Basmoli
>have some I think (leonine eyes, etc.), but they're not Hsunchen
>right
>?

In general, no (though I suspect there are certain human traits, like single eyebrow, that are more common in specific hsunchen).

The Basmoli are fully hsunchen so far as I know.

>So, do Telmori have yellow or pale blue eyes ? Might some
>reinder-hsunchen have strange feet or horizontally slitted eyes ? (if
>yes, are these ones considered holy or not ?)

I suspect there are occasional animal features, and they'd be regarded as special.

>Can hsunchen breed with humans or are they that far away that it's
>not
>possible ? If that's possible (IMG No, but then the PCs can be
>wrong),
>is there a 'dilution of hsunchenness' ?

As I said above, they are IMO fully human. Whether or not they are hsunchen is in large part a matter of culture. It probably is possible for the Loons of Ralios to revert to hsunchen (the problem is that they are not willing to adopt hsunchen ways).

I'm away from my sources, but I believe the Basmoli of Ralios did indeed revert to hsunchenism en masse -- they went from being civilized Pendali to "cave dwellers."

>Can a human baby raised in a telmori pack be accepted by
>Telmor and afterwards use hsunchen magic and adopt wolf-form ?

I think it would take more than just being raised, but not much more -- it would be the equivalent of a Heortling initiation.

And if hsunchen stop practicing hsunchen ways and are initiated into Orlanth, then they are for all intents and purposes no longer hsunchen. We know there used to be hsunchen like the Bemuri in Ralios, and that they no longer exist. The inescapable conclusion is that they became Orlanthi. Probably the same for the reptile hsunchen (they would have at least joined the EWF).

>On the same subject, could two different hsunchen persons have
>children ? (by different, I mean different animal totems)

Wow, I don't know. Probably, though it might be uncommon.

>I considered that centaur society consists mostly of small groups
>dominated by a stallion with many females, and some young males
>trying
>to exist around. And they are mostly an animist/chamanistic
>society. I'm wrong ?

Sounds good to me.

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein