Re: Hsunchen: what do they look like?

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:54:01 EDT

Sigaud:

<< I've considered IMG that they are not human beings,>>

     Officially, they are human, but whatever you do in your campaign is fine :-)

<< Mostly, what do they look like ? In the pictures I've seen (french ones
admittedly), they look like wareran humans... But I suppose there are some geographical variations :>>

     Yup: Shan Shan hsunchen appear kralori, Pamaltelan hsunchen appear agimori, etc.

<< bigger and blonder in Fronela,>>

     Actually, the Fronelan hsunchen are rather darker than the Loskalmi.

<< smaller for the Yak people in the Shan Shan Mountains, etc. But do these
Yak-people look like kralori or not ?(that a yes IMG, not that the PCs are prone to see one one day).>>

     Like short and stocky kralori, IMO.

<< Do they have non-human features, even in 'human' form ? >>

     I don't think so, except for the occasional exceptional individual of course.

<<The Basmoli have some I think (leonine eyes, etc.), but they're not Hsunchen  right ? >>

     The basmoli are hsunchen, but their description in TotRM is non-canonical, AFAIK.

 <<Might some reindeer hsunchen have strange feet or horizontally slitted eyes ? (if
 yes, are these ones considered holy or not ?) >>

     A very few might, and, yes, those ones would be considered holy.

<< Can hsunchen breed with humans >>

     Yes. Though they generally don't *like* to do so, since they tend to regard it as bestiality.

<< If that's possible (IMG No, but then the PCs can be wrong), is there a
'dilution of hsunchenness' ? And is being Hsunchen inherent or a question of culture ? >>

     Certainly RQ implied that it was entirely cultural, since outsiders could (in principle) join the cult of Telmor, although I'm not so sure that's still possible in HW. IMO, hsunchen are humans with animal souls, but they still have to learn how to access the powers of those souls, which can't be done in isolation from other hsunchen, as a general rule.

<< Can a human baby raised in a telmori pack be accepted by Telmor and
afterwards use hsunchen magic and adopt wolf-form ? >>

    I'd say yes; their animal soul can be 'discovered' and awakened. Trying to join a Telmori pack as an adult is, I suspect, next to impossible, contra RQ.

<< On the same subject, could two different hsunchen persons have children ?
(by different, I mean different animal totems)>>

      Yes, but again, they don't like to do so.

Trotsky