Re: Loskalmi Occupational Keywords

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:35:27 -0000

Jeff Kyer wrote:

> Brithini don't believe in gods, spirits or essences (they might
> believe in the Invisible God but probably ony in the abstract).

A bit sweeping. The Brithini acknowledge that there are otherworldly entities that respond to the peculiar practices known as "theistic sacrifice," "animist ecstatic worship," etc. They just do not stoop to perform these bizarre rituals themselves. Their sorcery works better.

The Brithini acknowledge that something they call the Creator made the Created World. So what? They do not attempt to bother this vast cosmic entity with "veneration" or "sacrifice," or vainly plead for its "intercession". Their sorcery works better.

They aren't denying that otherworldly phenomena exist, or that they appear to give power to practitioners of bizarre foreign rites. They simply treat this as irrelevant to themselves. They worship no gods. That makes them atheists.

> Just because something tells you its a god doesn't mean you have to
> believe it. Its probably lying and trying drain your life.

See also my article on "Errors of the Pagans," at: www.etyries.com/Malkioni/pagans.htm

Note, however, that this is written from a pious Malkioni POV; an atheist Zzaburite would use similar arguments *against* other forms of magic, but without the godly gloss this speaker provides.

> They rejected Malkion's Solace (martyred him, if I recall)

Read it up in St Atrox's "Book of Betrayal and Murder" -- it's all about the betrayal and murder of Malkion by Zzabur.

Cheers, Nick