Re: atheists in Glorantha

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:58:18 -0700

Gareth

> Err - how can there be ANY atheists in Glorantha?

"One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being."

Sounds easy to me. (Heck, I'll bet all animists qualify by this definition.)

Nobody denies that there are powerful Otherworld beings that receive worship. But this doesn't mean they are gods, and certainly not that they are God.

> Ah, I see. I would have expected that to be described as "apathetic" rather
> than "atheist". They do not refute the existance of god, they just don't
> care.

Mmm, I think there are a few Gloranthan atheists (and I think the Brithini are among them) who deny the Invisible God. After all, there's not really any proof he exists. It could all be the working of deluded (or corrupt) sorcerers or the powerful Otherworld beings known as saints.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein