Re: atheists in Glorantha

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:12:20 -0000

A good point. And an agnostic believes that 'you don't know if there is or is not a god' with varying levels of apathy/concern/militancy.

> >The above seems
> >to make any necessity for the term atheism defunct;
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. It is possible for a gloranthan
> to be a strong atheist (at least some Zzaburites believe this
> IMO) and atheism in the weak sense is an excellent description
> of what the Brithini are like (as well as giving them sinister
> overtones).
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

A reasonable spectrum. Zzaburites are the scary soulless Meldeks that Orlanthi parents tell stories to frighten their kids with. (You be god and eat your porrige or the meldek's will come and take away the food like they did in the story of Rigsdall and the Sorcerer in the Before Times!)

The key here seems to be worship and acknowlegement of higher beings. The Brithini just don't seem to care about their uncaring, distant God. They do not venerate him -- staying alive is more important. More 'enlightened' Malkioni venerate the Invisible God as they were told to do by Malkion, before he was slain by the Brithini for his words. I can see a spiritual evolution in this sequence. Seems pretty reasonable.

Jeff