Re: Runegate Questions

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:27:14 -0000

Michael Schwartz wrote:

> information on the Runegate Triarchy, also occasionally referred to
>as the 'Hyaloring' Triarchy. These are the three clans (Enhyli,
Narri and the long-defunct Lonisi) which warred upon the Varmandi and
> Hiording clans in the Taral War. At some point after Taral, the
> Enhyli and Narri joined the Colymar tribe.

> Little else is known other than the general location of their tulas
>(see Ian Cooper's reply from Sunday, April 8th to Simon
>Bray's "Colymar Questions")

I put that in the files section so you can now grab it more easily.

Are the Hyalorings mentioned in TR? IIRC they were a Storm Age people who rode horses and were allies of the Vingkotlings. They get wiped out in the darkness but some survivors are taken in by Heortlings and others. Hopefully Mr. Metcalfe will know all the details.

In other words they are non-vingkotling Orlanthi associated with horses (so Elmal probably follows). There is possibility for conflict from these different mythic origins.

At the time we appear to have a 5 clan Colymar tribe and a three clan triachy (only marry wihtin each other - not a tribe an older looser affiliation) centered around Runegate fort.

The Hiordings of the Colymar are just a little east of them in the Swan River.

The Varmandi (who are not Colymar yet) get forced out of Ormthane vale and join forces with the Hiordings to sieze land in the Swan river valley. They defeat the Lonisi clan at Taral and sieze their tula.

The Enhyli and Narri war with the Hiordings and Varmandi in revenge, until Robasart brings peace between them. The Taraling are formed in the old Lonisi lands (including from among occupying Varmandi), but the seeds are also sown for the Zarran war in promises made to the Varmandi (see KoS).

Jeff Richard's Taming of Dragon Pass campaign was set around this period. You can find info on David Dunham's website:

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/

Jeff may have more 'discovered' more facts in his game that he is willing to share.

Ian Cooper