Re: Runegate Questions

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:45:17 -0400

Ian Cooper wrote:

>Are the Hyalorings mentioned in TR?

No mention of which I am aware, but then THUNDER REBELS deals with Sartar circa 1620, rather than Quiviniland circa 1320.

>They were a Storm Age people who rode horses and were
>allies of the Vingkotlings. They get wiped out in the
>darkness but some survivors are taken in by Heortlings
>and others.

Beren the Rider, husband of Redaylde Vingkotsdaughter and co-founder of the Vingkotling Age Berenthtelli tribe, was very likely a Hyaloring. The Foreigner's Wedding which allows Elmal to join the Storm Tribe by marrying Redalda the Horse Goddess was probably created to permit Beren to marry Redaylde and thus join the Vingkotlings. Beren's people are described in "The Saga of the Vingkotlings" and "The Daughters of Vingkot" as nomads from the north who fought the Dara Happans.

>They are non-Vingkotling Orlanthi associated with horses.
>There is possibility for conflict from these different
>mythic origins.

But all this has nothing to do with the Runegate clans. While they likely have Berenthtelli ancestry somewhere in the past, they are not Hyalorings and the term as used in publication is something of a misnomer, or an outrageous claim of antiquity by Elmal-worshipping kings.

>At the time we appear to have a 5 clan Colymar tribe and a
>three clan triachy centered around Runegate fort.

Yes, I am aware. I too have read KING OF SARTAR, thank you. Perhaps I should have stated "I know all the basic which one can acquire from twenty years of Gloranthaphilia and attendant collecting of all that has been published." :)

I am after the stuff which has only been bandied about on the sundry mailing lists or in the hallowed halls of the Greg's sanctum sanctorum by those in the "Inner Circle". :)

>[The Varmandi and Hiordings] defeat the Lonisi clan at Taral
>and sieze their tula.

Except we have no idea where Taral is located... it is not on any map that I can find... nor whether it is a stead, a hill fort, etc.

>The Enhyli and Narri war with the Hiordings and Varmandi in
>revenge, until Robasart brings peace between them.

Depends on which page of KING OF SARTAR you read. The "Old Kings List" (page 205) states that Venharl, sixth king of Colymar, "ruled during the Taral War, and welcomed the Runegate clans into the tribe", while the Taraling description (page 206) states that Robasart, the seventh king of the Colymar, made peace. Appears that Robasart had a better publicist... :)

In Robasart's entry on page 206, it states that he finishes the Zarran War which follows the Taral War, destroyed the Karandoli clan (from which Argrath allegedly comes, though KOS has the wrong Venharl credited as Argrath's ancestor), founded the Antorling (Apple) clan, and welcomes the Varmandi into the tribe.

>Jeff Richard's Taming of Dragon Pass campaign was set around
>this period Jeff may have more 'discovered' more facts in his
>game that he is willing to share.

I have already been corresponding with Jeff, David Dunham and Stephen Martin for roughly a week, but thanks. Simon's Colymar query and the many subsequent replies spurred me to seek out other, additional insights within the Glorantha Tribe.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and