Re: Getting Vinga on that Elmal quest

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:52:57 +1000

Heys folks

I've always been fascinated by the cultic and mythic relationships between Vinga and Elmal. In some ways they are extremely similar in purpose - perhaps enough to do some sort of heroquest switcheroo.

Similarities:

Both stayed to defend Stead in Great Darkness - both are palisade defenders.

Both have special skills against trolls.

But:

Elmal likes giving orders. Vinga... well, Vinga obeys her father.

Elmal hasn't completely outgrown his Fire Tribe upbringing. He's authoritative, strict, and given to absolutes. Vinga epitomises flexibility and cunning.

Elmali boast: '*I* shall defend the women". Vingan reply: 'The women can defend *themselves*'.

Result: strong, ongoing cultic rivalry with extraordinary cooperation when necessary (though usually in extremis).

There's certain to be lots of myths about them interacting. Everyone knows that Elmal can get Vinga hopping mad, and that Vinga can make Elmal glow bright red with embarrassment. Doubtless both these abilities were used (and are used) to constructive purpose. I know of one Darkness myth of Vinga saving Elmal, and I'm sure Elmali know of similar myths. In a bizarre sort of way they probably need each other, which makes for an underlying sexual tension celebrated in campfire tales if not in sacred myth.

I'm sure there's quite a few Vingan myths/quests with a structure similar to.

 Doubtless there will be Elmali quests with a similar structure but different emphasis, in which Vinga does something stupid and Elmal rescues her and teaches her his superior wisdom. As long as they end up arguing. :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                 John Hughes

"The Apollo moon launch is widely known among  Papua New Guinea villagers and continues to evoke  discussion within mythic context, including the understanding  that the moon landing was achieved on the basis of secret  knowledge in traditional New Guinea myths."